Sunday, June 19, 2016

Lightsabres Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?
I'm recording a new album. With a drummer this time so it's gonna be the first album where I don't play every instrument myself.
Also it's the first album I'm recording in a proper studio instead of in my living room.

2.You have a new album coming out in July, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
First off, it's already been released digitally and on vinyl back in April by UK label HeviSike Records. The cassette release on MCR comes
with a bonus track though. Musically I'd say it's slower and not as raw as the previous albums, with a couple of songs that are more
psychedelic than heavy.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Love and death, basically. I write more about feelings than of wizards and goblins. But I don't really like discussing the lyrics, they're about
whatever you as a listener want them to be about. If people can relate that's great.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Lightsabres'?
Well, it's clearly inspired by Star Wars, but that's the only Star Wars connection. I just thought it was a cool band name!

5.What are some of the best shows that the band ha splayed so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Lightsabres have never played live, as I'm the only band member.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?
Nothing planned. I've thought about putting a live band together, but it's only on the planning stage right now. We'll see what happens with that.

7.The new album is coming out on 'Medusa Crush Recordings' are you happy with the support that they have given you so far?
MCR have released "Demons" and "Beheaded" on cassette before and I have no complaints, haha. Mathieu is a great guy who knows what he's doing, I'm really
proud to be part of the MCR roster.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your recordings by fans of hard music?
It's been great. When "Demons" was released I was a actually surprised how well it was received by the stoner/doom-audience, I thought I had recorded a punk album!
Or "stoner-punk" as I like to call it. I've sold records to the US, UK, Germany, Finland, Argentina, Sweden... even to fucking Indonesia! Which is super cool.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
The album I'm recording right now is gonna be faster and heavier than anything I've done before, mixed with some more laid back moments. And less lo-fi, the lo-fi days
are over, for now at least. But after that I have absolutely no idea, maybe an all acoustic album, that could be cool.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Danzig-era Misfits, Smashing Pumpkins and Thin Lizzy are probably my main influences, maybe some Alice In Chains and Queens Of The Stone Age too.
I grew up listening to a lot of the US grunge/alternative bands of the 90's, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, Screaming Trees, Dinosaur Jr, Soundgarden etc...
and I think all of them have influenced me, in one way or another.
I'm listening to so much music all the time, 70's rock, doom, death metal, psych, goth, shoegaze, prog. There's so much good new music coming out all
the time it's impossible to keep up, but I'm trying!  

11.What are some of your new musical interests?
I've been getting into jazz lately. I've always thought jazz was boring, but I've realized, if you listen to the right kind of jazz, it's actually really weird
and completely fucked up music, in a good way!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I think we're living in very exciting times when it comes to heavy and psychedelic music, and I'm just happy I can be a part of that. Keep on rockin!

No comments:

Post a Comment