Monday, April 25, 2016

Rhin Interview

Answered by the whole band:

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

Dom: Just spending time down in the basement writing and learning new songs. Currently trying to figure out the best way to pack the car for this next round of dates on the road.

Ben: More jams, man. More jams.

2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

Dom: This album I feel we have gotten better at playing together, writing songs, and continue to grow as a band.  We got groove!  I also think with each album we touch a little on where we're heading or just incorporating something new in our sound.  This album I think has a couple songs that show where we would like to head/develop more.  I would like to think we just continue to get better as we go.

Ben: We're an angry but hopeful rock n roll band and I think that comes through in our sound and vibe. This record is more expansive and more ambiguous.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?

Dom: I usually piece songs together and focus on how to round out the song rather than telling a story.  For example, on ‘Clay’ I started out with an idea about Clay County, where there is a place called Booger Hole where some murders happened in the 1930’s. For the middle, I just strung together some words, and the end I wrote about holding onto love.  I would say most of the songs I start by a phrase I like and go from there.  I usually just write down things/ideas I find interesting.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Rhin'?

Dom: Well short story is, I was living in Albuquerque, there was a local band there Black Maria and the bassist had a fuzzed out bass tone.  So I got a bass and rat pedal.  Prior to Albuquerque I hadn’t really gone to many shows, after going to see live music, I wanted to create something. At first, I was calling it domino and the two ton rhinos, then rhinos, then Rhin when Ben and Tucker joined.  The early Rhin I hadn’t figured out what exactly I was going for and wrote a lot of half ass songs.  Tucker and Ben definitely bring different elements/ideas to the table which have shaped what is Rhin.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Dom: I would say we bring a lot of energy to the shows and try to get as much out of the three piece sound that we can.  We played this house show in North Carolina.  We were at first unsure about the spot and if anyone would show up.  So like every house show story, place ended up being packed, way too many people doing nitrous and just a solid good time.

Ben: We love playing local shows because our friends love us. My favorite show that we've ever played was at a Llamadon mixed genre show in Baltimore. It was mostly hip hop and R&b acts. We thought we were gonna clear the room but they lost their fucking minds. It was amazing. We play hard every time.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?

Dom: Were going out with Grizzlor April 28th (philly-the fire) 29th (NYC-grand victory) and 30th (new haven-three sheets).  Were also going out late may with Ratship.  Were also have a release show for June 17th in Shepherdstown with our buds Cavern, Iron Jawed Guru, and Cheshi.

5/26, Huntington, WV  - VClub

5/27, Lexington, KY - The Green Lantern

5/28, Bowling Green, KY - Nightmare House on Elm Street

5/29, Nashville, TN -  Springwater Bar

5/30, Carbondale, IL - Lost Cross House

5/31, Springfield, IL - Black Sheep Cafe

6/1, Champaign, IL – Institute 4 Creativity

6/2, Bloomington, IN - House Show

6/3, Louisville, KY - Modern Cult Records

6/4, Cincinnati, OH - Rake’s End

6/5, Columbus, OH - Spacebar

7.Recently you where a part of a split with 'Ratship', what are your thoughts on the other band that had participated on the recording?

Dom: We had played a show with them over a year ago and had stayed in touch. They came to our 4th of July house show party and we got along.  We had talked about wanting to do a split and wanted something to keep us busy while we wanted for Passenger to come out.  We had couple tracks we wanted to re record from the Passenger sessions so it worked out.  We recorded with Paul Cogle who recorded our first album.  I love the production on Ratships tracks, sounds sick.  It was also nice to work with another West Virginia band from the other side of the state.  For our ten days out with them, I hit Garrett (ratship) up about a date, we got to talking and just joined forces.

Ben: Ratship is an awesome band made up of awesome people. They are straight up, no bs, neck snapping weirdo post-hardcore from Huntington WV.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of punk, stoner and noise rock?

Dom: Well not sure worldwide, but we always have a positive response when were out playing which is swell.

Ben: We seem to go over well all across the board. We play shows with bands from many different genres and make friends every time.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Dom: I think we will continue with the sounds/styles heard on Passenger.  We have learned about 5 new songs and have couple more to learn.  Were all in the process of moving, but I see us being ready to record in the fall/winter. I think I'm going to get better at naming songs, thats where I'm focusing my energy.

Ben: I always want to get more relentless and brutal but I trust Dom's vision and songwriting. His tunes keep getting better.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Dom: We all enjoy different music which I think/hope comes out into our music.  I just read questlove’s book where every couple of chapters he talks about albums that he enjoyed at certain years of his life.  So its been great going back listening to Sly, Prince, Tribe Called Quest, and Nas.  The past couple months Ive really been digging Craw and Dazzling killmen, I felt like a fool for never listening to them before.  Also the new Kendrick Lamar album To Pimp a Butterfly is in heavy rotation and Baklava’s dane on (check them out now!).

Ben: I grew up on Hardcore punk, extreme metal and hip hop. My playing is very jazz and funk influenced however. I always want to find that funky pocket. Recently, I've really been into Thao and the Get Down Stay Down, Krallice, Conan, Couch Slut, Melt Banana and Northless. The new the Body/Full of Hell collab is fucking amazing too.

Tucker: With this band in particular, I am really influenced by Ron Asheton. It's more about playing from your gut and reacting to the sounds around you. I've never had a proper music lesson in my life. I know how to play some scales, but this band is not about that. It's about playing to the music --- playing to the chaos.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Dom: Ben tattoos. Tuck also writes poetry and plays music in the bishops.  I'm just bummed I don’t have a garden this year.

Ben: When I'm not playing in RHIN, I'm drawing, painting and tattooing.

Tucker: When I'm not playing music I am usually writing poetry, reading, or fishing.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Dom: Just hit play.

Ben: Somebody bring us on tour in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment