Friday, September 19, 2014

Estado Novo Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Hiili (drummer) and Kalle (guitarist) had an idea to form a band or project which is based on simple old school and traditional ways to play rock and roll. Kalle had plenty of Sabbath and Zeppelin style material, and they wanted to took that further than
just do demos and stuff. So they asked old friend and superb musician Jukka to join as a bassist. Then Hiili suggest me to be
as singer. After one second of thinking I answered yes.
 
Hiili is a one of the well known Finnish music producers. Jukka has been played in one of the Finlands most successful rock band in nineties Don Huonot. Kalle has been session musician in many production and bands. All these three guys has been played together Finnish cult-band Itä-Saksa. My background is heavily involved band called Purity and I am also a original guitar-player in first very successful in Finnish singing heavy-band Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus. At the moment I am also guitarist and singer in prog-rock-metal band Death Is Liberty.
 
And actually I do not know are basic band, more like organism which is gathering together now and then to make great and magical music.
 
2.You have a new album coming out, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
It's very heavy but with space for all instruments. Very organic 70's stylish rock and roll.
 
3.I noticed that when i listened to the album it had the 70's sound down perfectly from the playing to production, how where you able to capture this vintage sound?
We do whole album only in three days (recordings) by playing live. All music has been played live and I sang it in one day, all vocals. That's the thing! We also use old instruments like my 60's Marshall cabinets and old original Marshall Plexi in guitars. Drums are from somewhere back in 70's. Mic setups were heritage of great 70's super sound engineers and we recorded all in analog tape-recorders.
 
4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
The agenda and theme of lyrics is power and authority which has been used wrongly. We are sociological, but we aren't political band! Even most of politicians are made from same wood – they are talking about values, but behind the comments is their own personal interests – but we aren't political even I despise those people and their actions. This is really straight-forward and maybe too "black and white" comment to some, but so I think. Frank Zappa use to say: "politician are assholes, either they are democrat or republican" – I identify my thoughts to this direction, maybe with not so harsh words – but there is a truth behind FZ words.
We are band who try to courage people to use their own brains and think about things. We aren't try to act like or be intellectual-band because we aren't. There are many more wiser people in this world, but still You can use your brains and not to follow the shepherd of the herd.
My idealism is raising from my own experience of life. There are few mentors who are important to me like Frank Zappa or Jello Biafra and my former employee. I think I am not so smart guy, but wiser in life than 20 years ago – that's s difference between wisdom and intelligence.
 
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Estado Novo'?
Did I said in question # 4? ;)
 
6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
We haven't play any, so I cannot say any. But we are still great on stage.
 
7.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?
Yes and no. If some good possibility is coming in our way yes. All other things like family and work is keeping us in reality, so if something really interesting hits us – then we are ready.
 
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of classic rock?
I haven't heard many, but those few are really couraging.
 
9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
Maybe we will do next time Sgt. Pepper kind of thing. All sitar and stuff like that ;)
 
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Influences in Estado Sabbath and Zeppelin is obvious. Maybe some weird way Rage Against The Machine and Dead Kennedys definitely according to lyrics. I am very open minded what comes to music all most everything from ABBA to Zappa and from Grindcore to Jazz is for me. Nowadays I am listening to really much old stuff from my teenager years Thrash Metal and 70's rock. Well new bands too...too many to mention.
 
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Red Wine. My two lovely kids. English motorcycles. And martial-arts.
Smell Sabbath – Enjoy Estado Novo!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment